Tuesday, 31 August 2010

Stolen - Lucy Christopher



Author: Lucy Christopher
Date of release: 4 May 2009
Number of pages: 320
Publisher: Chicken House
Also by this author: Flyaway

Book Girl Rating: * * * * *


It happened like this.  I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him. This is my story. A letter from nowhere.               

I bought this book last year sometime and it wasn't until the day before yesterday I pulled it off the bookshelf to read.  Sadly, it had been sat in a large pile of books I had planned to read but hadn't gotten round to yet!  Why I didn't read it sooner, I don't know, because the second I turned the first page - I was hooked.  Completely and totally hooked.  The book is about Gemma, a 16 year old from England who is kidnapped in Bangkok Airport and taken to the deserts of Australia.  Stolen is written in the form of a retrospective letter to her kidnapper. Her captor, who is instantly different from the stereotypical abductor, is Ty, gorgeous, tanned and young with attractive blue eyes. It doesn't add up. Drugged and taken from everything she knows and loves, to an alien environment - Ty wants her to love him and stay with him. She doesn't know where she is. But Ty is different, despite the kidnap, he can seem kind and loving, especially to the desert and environment and to Gemma, but he's also terrifying and can be fierce..  Ty has a story of his own..one that involves Gemma more than she knows..

Firstly, this book was great simply because it provided a refreshing change from the paranormal, supernatural romances I have read recently. Its true-to-life plot was realistic and as a reader, easier to imagine happening; as it actually could!  Lucy Christopher's hypnotic, witty prose is easy to relate to and provides a powerful, emotionally binding thrill ride about kidnap, love, loss and survival.  I agree with other reviewers, in that at first I hated Ty, I was so angry at what he did, how he tricked her and took her away.  But over the pages I began to feel something for him, a kind of appreciation for his ways, how he could be caring, that he was simply misunderstood.  I wanted it to end well for him, for them both.  He loved her and just wanted her to love him.

The landscape almost acts as a third character in this story, its rugged wildness and underestimated beauty highlighted throughout through Ty's passionate connection to the land.  The character of Gemma is also great.  She seems to be profoundly strong and determined despite the fact she's been kidnapped and taken away from everything familiar.  It really is a story about love and the relationship between a confused young man and a lost young girl, emphasised by the arid desert and a connection..somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

It may be worth mentioning that this book did scare me, but in the best possible way, it also broke my heart. I really enjoyed it that much. It made me laugh and cry. The second person perspective is captivating and entrancing and holds you. I read the whole thing in one night and day, it is un-putdownable. The plot is aimed at teens but the more mature end, as it is quite contraversial in that the kidnap and surrounding bits are quite explicit in parts, but thoroughly worth every minute of reading time.  As a reader you realise the hidden depths of the book, and the underlying theme of 'Stockholm Syndrome' is throughout.  I even began to feel like I thought Gemma would, ending in a fair amount of tears shed and contemplation long after I had closed the book..

I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending, it was clever, and the book deserves a full five stars for every aspect.  Undoubtedly one of the best books I have read, a book I am sure I will treasure for many years to come.  All I can say is thank you to a wonderful author - whose words captivated me from start to finish.
Buy or borrow this book, it is worth the time, the money and the effort to read it - without a single doubt.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about this book scaring you and the conflict about Ty. Great review, Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, that's nice of you to say - thanks :) Loved, loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to order this one today and it was out of stock. :( I've heard it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fantastic - hope you get to read it some time soon :)

    ReplyDelete