Wednesday, 8 September 2010

I Heart You, You Haunt Me - Lisa Schroeder





Author: Lisa Shroeder
Date of release: January 2008
Number of pages: 240
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Also by this author: Far From You



Girl meets boy.
Girl loses boy.
Girl gets boy back...
...sort of.
 
Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.
Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds. (Taken from Amazon description and book synopsis)

A friend of mine recommended this book to me recently, so I thought I'd give it a go! It’s quite a short book and so I read it in between some other novels.   I wouldn’t say ‘enjoyed’ would be the correct word to use to describe my experience of this book.  But I did like it.  I say that because it is impossibly sad and powerfully emotive, I don’t feel like I should enjoy it!  Ava’s tale is a poignant, haunting story of love, loss and grief.  Seeing through the eyes of a teenager, whose life should be full of laughter and enjoyment, it was particularly moving to listen to an account of somebody so young experience so much pain.   Ava’s voice, as a protagonist is very distinctive and real despite her initial detachment from life; it’s almost as if I was Ava, living through what seems like an insurmountable loss and heartache. 

Lisa Schroeder’s writing is different to a lot of the books I’ve read. The prose is delicate and simple, yet memorable.  It’s the first ‘verse’ novel I’ve read so the style took a bit of getting used to.   This is an incredible, powerful and remarkable story of a teenager’s torment and anguish.  And of course, it coaxed the tears out of my eyes – so grab some tissues for this one!I really like Lisa’s writing and will be on the lookout for any of her future books, recommended! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of verse novels, but I really enjoyed this. It made me cry so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it, I know what you mean about the crying, it was really sad but still a great read! :)

    ReplyDelete