Thursday, 23 September 2010

Linger - Maggie Stiefvater

 
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Date of release: July 2010 (UK)
Number of pages: 432
Publisher: Scholastic
Also by this author: Shiver (Book 1), Lament, Ballad, Forever (Book 3) (2011).

WARNING: This review is of the second book of the Wolves of Mercy Falls series and therefore may contain spoilers for Shiver.
In SHIVER, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in LINGER, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping dangerous secrets. For Sam, it means grappling with his werewolf past ... and figuring out a way to survive the future. But just when they manage to find happiness, Grace finds herself changing in ways she could never have expected... 

I really enjoyed this book.  Linger sees the input of Isabel and Cole’s perspectives in addition to Sam and Grace’s existing narrative.  Whilst it took me a while to adapt to their perspectives, I began to understand the characters in a way I wouldn’t have before.  I really enjoyed the sharp contrast between Sam and Grace’s profound, passionate connection to one another and Isabel and Cole’s volatile association.  Maggie also merges Sam and Grace’s perspectives and condenses them to make room for Isabel and Cole’s.  I loved this, because it is as if they are one entity, they think and feel the same – that they’re hopelessly connected through love.  


I was quite worried that Linger wouldn’t live up to Shiver, because, I couldn’t see how this story or Maggie’s writing could get any better.  I was relieved to determine that it’s just as great; and once again I found myself enveloped in the world of Sam and Grace, their struggles and their love.  Linger is amazing; and Maggie’s lyrical narrative is back, fantastically infectious and constantly leaving you wanting more. Everything about this story screams love! Maggie’s accomplished writing is wonderful and so intimately describes Sam and Grace’s connection; in contrast to Minnesota’s hostile environment  This is a world that is rapidly changing and full of forces that threaten to tear them apart.  

This story held me and contrastingly moved me in ways I didn’t think a book could.  I am anxiously anticipating Forever and can’t wait for its release; because I love these characters and their world.  I am once again in awe and reverence of Maggie’s fantastic writing talent and her acute awareness of who her characters are – characters with such conviction -  so likeable, passionate and determined.
 
I desperately hope Sam and Grace get the happy ending they deserve.  You may want to grab some tissues for this one - but maybe I'm a tad emotional after reading about these characters for the last few weeks!  With an ending that amazes, this left me simultaneously heartbroken and aching for more.

2 comments:

  1. I adored this too and completely agree about it taking a while to adapt to the extra POV's. The ending was evil, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the ending...really excited to see what happens in Forever now!

    ReplyDelete