Sunday, 10 October 2010

In My Mailbox - No.5

In My Mailbox was started by Kristi at the Story Siren and you can visit her fantastic blog here.

Apologies for the late IMM post - I've had a fantastic weekend, which ended with a trip to Manchester today.  I visited the huge Waterstones to pick up my ticket for Becca Fitzpatrick’s book signing in November - and I can't wait!   Not only that, but I had the opportunity to wander and meander round the rather large Waterstone's, gaping at all the lovely books; indulging my weakness for spending too much money on literature!

Bought today:

Infinite Days (Rebecca Maizel)
I've heard wonderful things about this book and it was staring me in the face in the book shop, so of course, I caved!  The cover's beautiful, which was the factor that finally swayed me to buy it.  Lovely!  Here's what it's about: For 500 years Lenah Beaudonte has been a vampire. 500 years of seduction, blood and destruction. But she is sickened by her dark powers – and longs to feel the sun on her skin, grass under her bare feet, and share the breath of a human kiss. She wants to be mortal again. But is she really capable of being human, after her long years of darkness? Waking up as a sixteen-year-old girl brings Lenah many things – the life she has missed, taste, touch, love. But a vampire soul is not easily shed. And her coven – the four vampires she led in decadence and thrilling destruction – want their queen back . . 

Reckless (Cornelia Funke)
I think this weekend was one for gorgeous covers, and this one drew me right in (I think it's something to do with  the yellow eyes, they reminded me of Sam from Shiver/Linger!).  I also just watched the very haunting and ethereal promotional video for this book on Amazon and was rather amazed!  Here's what this one's about:  For the first time in his life, Jacob Reckless is afraid. For years he's stolen across to another world. A dark enchanted place he's loved for its treasure, secrets and dangers. Until now. Will, his younger brother, has followed him with terrible consequences: The boy will turn to beast; the girl he loves will break her heart and chaos will rule forever, unless Jacob can spin a fairytale to save them .. 

This book sounds really refreshing and different - I can't wait to start it!
 
The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)

Again, this is a book that seems vastly different from some of the supernatural romances I've been reading lately (according to its synopis) and I really think it will be good.  I've read some fantastic reviews and for some reason always postponed, then later regretted, buying it.  Here's the lowdown: Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been close to death before—and survival, for her, is second nature. The Hunger Games is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...

The synopses are taken from the inside/back sleeves/covers of the books. 

How was everyone else's week?  What did you get in your mailbox?
Feel free to leave comments and links below - I love hearing from you all.  

Enjoy your reading!

Nat  

5 comments:

  1. Great books for you! I have Reckless to read as well. I love the UK cover, but also think the US cover is quite lovely.

    Happy reading!

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love The Hunger Games. I can't wait to read your review of it. Happy reading! And, I'm a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunger Games is PHENOMENAL. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda - I saw the US cover for Reckless on the internet the other day - it's just as lovely, I agree!

    Kelly - thanks for being a follower :). Very excited for this book now!

    Sophie - Looking forward to it, heard some great things indeed.

    Thanks everyone and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete