Sunday, 5 December 2010

In My Mailbox - No.11

Hello and welcome to my mailbox!  Thank you to the Story Siren, whose blog you can visit here!

I’m covering stuff I got last week as I missed IMM and I haven’t yet received anything this week due to the current weather!  Here's what I got:

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
On the outside, Macy Queen is cool and calm. On the inside, she's breaking. Silently struggling with her Dad's death, and spending the summer apart from her oh-so-perfect boyfriend, Macy is smiling her way through - she's 'fine'. It's only when she meets a group of new friends - and artistic, sexy Wes catches her eye - she realizes she can wear her heart on her sleeve sometimes. Because life doesn't stop when someone disappears - and even though she's lost so much, can Macy see what she has to gain? Hugely engaging and with great emotional depth, Sarah Dessen's rich, warm, atmospheric writing makes this the perfect summer read for teenage girls. 

I haven't read any of Sarah's books before but after reading a few really positive reviews in various places, I bought this.   

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created "perfect" life is about to unravel before her eyes. Forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, Brittany finds herself having to protect everything she's worked so hard for - her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend and, most importantly, the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But the closer Alex and Brittany get to each other the more they realise that sometimes appearances can be deceptive and that you have to look beneath the surface to discover the truth. 

This looks really interesting and is mounted firmly on my TBR pile!   Both book synopses are from Amazon.co.uk.

Here’s what I should have had this week, two new releases from two of my favourites (when said weather improves):

Entice by Carrie Jones
Here's the story: Zara and Nick are soul-mates - they're meant to be together for ever. But that's not quite how things have worked out. For starters, Nick is dead, and has been taken to Valhalla, a mystical resting place for warriors. If they can find the way there, Zara and her friends will try to get him back. But even if they do, Zara has turned pixie - and now she's Astley's queen! Meanwhile, more teenagers go missing as a group of evil pixies devastates the town of Bedford. An all-out war seems imminent and Zara and her friends need all the warriors they can find...(taken from Amazon.co.uk).

How I love the world of pixies!  Captivate left me breathlessly awaiting more and desperate to know the fate of Zara and her friends.  I really hope Entice lives up to its predecessors and I cannot wait to read this one.  This is the last sequel of 2010 I had been waiting for, so hopefully I'll read it before Christmas!

Me Against You by Jenny Downham
 If someone hurts your sister and you’re any kind of man, you seek revenge, right?
If your brother’s accused of a terrible crime but says he didn’t do it, you defend him, don’t you? When Mikey’s sister claims a boy assaulted her, his world begins to fall apart. When Ellie’s brother is charged with the offence, her world begins to unravel. When Mikey and Ellie meet, two worlds collide. This is a brave and unflinching novel from the bestselling author of Before I Die. It’s a book about loyalty and the choices that come with it. But above all it’s a book about love.

How intriguing does this sound?!  Jenny’s first novel, Before I Die, was so astounding and heartbreaking - I simply had to get this.  This book looks really different and the story sounds dissimilar to her first book – apart from that love seems to be an abundant theme.  The idea of conflicting relationships and a Romeo and Juliet-esque romance sounds really good. 

What did everyone else get in their mailboxes this week?  As always, I love to hear from you.

Happy reading!

Nat


3 comments:

  1. Perfect Chemistry is a book that I really want to read! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book.

    Have a great week!

    Amber
    booksofamber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Truth ABout Forever is my favourite Sarah Dessen novel and one of my overall favourite books as is Perfect Chemistry.

    I really hope you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya
    Thanks for your comments.

    Amber - Perfect Chemistry looks ace doesn't it?

    Sophie - thanks, I'm sure I will! I love Sarah's covers too, so pretty :D

    ReplyDelete